Our Motorcycle Diaries

You do know what an adventure is, don't you?.....A disaster that you survived to tell about ;)

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
-- Mark Twain

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Day 4, Day 5, and Day 6

October 11th: Effingham, Illinois to Dickson, Tennessee
October 12th: Dickson, Tennessee to Starkville, Mississippi
October 13th: Starkville, Mississippi to Monroe, Louisiana

The last few days we have been following the Natchez Trace. http://www.scenictrace.com/ It is a beautiful route winding through forests, with amazing scenery and lots of wildlife. We saw a coyote, quite a few deer, lots of wild turkeys, a flock of turkey buzzards/vultures, and a peculiar looking lime green caterpiller. While travelling through the Natchez Trace we saw hundreds of fallen trees alongside the road, which were remnants from Hurricane Katrina. Most of the trees looked hundreds of years old. It was also very difficult to find a hotel booking in this area because many of the hotels are occupied by displaced people from New Orleans.

PICTURES:








From Left to Right:

  • A flock of feasting turkey buzzards (turkey vulchers)
  • A river running along the Natchez Trace
  • A stop along the Natchez Trace leading to a little trail
  • A colourful (and extremely large) caterpiller in Mississippi
  • Taking the ferry across a river
  • Crossing the Mississippi River

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Linda!

I am excited that you have started your trip! I am also very jelous! I bet the weather is getting colder...I was watching the news and Colorado had SNOW!

So where else does the adventure go?

I love the site and cannot wait to read your next entry. If you make it to costa rica don't stay in the main city go and explore its a beautyful country even though I broke my self there.

Love you lots lin

Cheers
April

P.S. Happy Belated Turkey Day!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Linda, miss you here at work. sounds like you will have some great stories to tell ! Hope you will continue to have a safe and fun trip. YOur site is very interesting.
Enjoy
Doreen

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Linda and Jan - time to take those plug in vests off - must be getting warmer - we were down at the boat doing last minute things before tarping it - sure was cold and windy - your web site is great! Stay safe and have fun - talk to you soon.
Lois and Ron

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Konnicha wa!
Your trip sounds awesome, I am CHO jealous over here! I did do the worlds tallest rollercoster, but compared to riding a motorcycle all day, it seems to sounds not so great! Have a great time, keep posting and taking pics! Stay safe, I dont want any "Joe" stories when you get back!

Kyoske tei!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,
Sounds like you are having the time of your life even with bad coffee! Things sure are different here at work without you. Can't wait to read more about your trip! Take care and all the best!

Ellen

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda, you should write a book, what the heck are you doing with computers. Awesome stories and web page. Glad you are doing well, high of 17 degrees here in Clinton on the 4th of November.
Who would have thought.
Have a wonderful trip! I will check in again.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home